Thursday, April 4, 2013

My Fan Letter to Gerard Way


Gerard Way,
            I was sad when I heard My Chemical Romance had recorded its last album. Guess I just took for granted that the party would never die. I still have my Black Parade jacket even seven years after buying it. Probably gonna be buried in that thing.
            You guys were my favorite band. That’s something that I’m sure you all get a lot, and deservedly so. I discovered MCR in high school, at a time when I was just starting to discover that I could have my own sense of style, that maybe I could wear something flashy and cool instead of a T-shirt and jeans all the time. More importantly, I was starting to discover that it was okay to be noticed, and that maybe nobody would laugh if I chose not to fade into the background all the time. The first piece of clothing I ever bought that I LOVED was an MCR shirt. You guys made me feel cool in an awkward stage of life where coolness was everything.
            And oh, the music. MCR was there for me through shitty break ups, wild parties, and everything in between, like a trusted friend who’ll never turn his back on you.  MCR’s still there for me. I suspect it always will be. I have this image of myself as a seventy year old man blaring “Welcome to the Black Parade” while my exasperated grandsons are begging me to switch to whatever newfangled music genre will be popular in the future.
            But then again, they might be screaming along right with me. That’s the kind of power your music has. It taps into something beyond the constraints of 21st century rock in roll. It’s human, in all of our confusing, pissed off, lonely, primal, ugly, beautiful, hateful, loving glory.
            I’m not really sure what I’m trying to say here. I’ve never been passionate enough about an artist to write fan mail before, so forgive my clumsiness. I guess I’m supposed to encapsulate everything MCR has meant to me, which is why I’m bumbling on about fashion and grandkids. Because there’s really no way to fully express it in just a few pages. I guess I’ll just cut things short and say thank you, Gerard. And of course Mikey, Frank, Ray, Matt, and Bob. This letter is for you too.
            And even though MCR’s journey is complete, I can comfort myself by knowing that there will always be art coming from Gerard Way in some medium or another. It’s just in your blood. I look forward to your next masterpiece.

Sincerely,
Nathan Wellman


No comments:

Post a Comment