Monday, September 17, 2012

52 Sketches in 52 Days: A Friendly Game of Checkers



It's 11pm. I walk into the door of our apartment with arms bulging with groceries. Shew, what a long day! Can't wait to just sit back and take it easy!

I look around the apartment to see that Zach has the tripod set up. He's constructed a crude toplight out of plastic tubing and fluorescent lighting. "We doing this or what?!" he says.

Next thing I know, Matt's filming us scream at each other at the top of our lungs while our neighbors cower in their beds and wonder just what kind of horrible things go on in Apt 105 at one in the morning. Such is the life of the aspiring young Los Angeles artist. Where else do people sit you down and have a serious discussion about the proper way to say "Bibbity Bam Bam DIGGLE!"

This was an exciting sketch for me because it was the first one that I didn't write or direct. It was a nice feeling to not have to worry about having some kind of central artistic vision for the entire piece. All I had to do was focus on my character, which is basically a fraction of the many factors that a director has to yank his hair out over. Who knows? Maybe other writers and directors will step up and throw their talents into the ring...

Of course, one compromise I obviously made was that this wasn't a sketch so much as a short film. This sucker's nine minutes, and I think that could potentially deter some of you attention deficit internet folks. I just figured the day you become a slave to your own rules is the day cool things stop happening artistically. That being said, more often than not, we still plan to keep these babies short for ya.

LOVE the way that toplight kicks in. I think it really adds so much. Wish we could afford all those fancy doodads the pros use. (And while we're wishing for impossible things, I'd also like a talking puppy that can breathe fire.)

I'm kicking it back in my home state of Kentucky right now, so posts may be a little scarce these days. Don't worry, faithful reader. I haven't forgotten you! I'm just out with people who are waaaay more important to me than you!

(If it makes you feel any better, I've got a mean patch of poison ivy splotching up my right ear... That has nothing to do with being an artist in Los Angeles. I'm going to stop writing now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment