Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Strike for the Actor: College vs. Professional

Ah, the strike. A both symbolic and literal destruction of a once proud production that (hopefully) has entertained and nourished many happy theater patrons. I've noticed something of a difference between how strike works in college vs. how it works in the "real" world of the 99 seat theater, and I thought I'd share some of them with you.

Showing up:

College: SHOW UP FOR STRIKE IF YOU'RE IN THE SHOW. SHOW UP FOR STRIKE OR I WILL KILL YOU AND FLUNK YOU AND GIVE YOU WEDGIES.

Professional: Oh crap, you actually showed up!? Thank you so much, you're amazing! You're God's gift to theater! Have a donut! Have three!

Nearly dying because something almost fell on your head:

College: SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN STANDING THERE!

Professional: Sorry, bestie! Here, take my helmet!


When you're standing around not doing anything:

College: MOVE YOUR ASS!!!!!

Professional: Oh, you're taking a break? Good idea! I'll join you!


When you're running out of things to do:

College: Walk purposefully back and forth so it looks like you're super busy.

Professional: Walk purposefully back and forth so it looks like you're super busy.


When strike's over:

College: You get pizza.

Professional: So you're coming back for the build tomorrow, right? Please? I'll bring pizza!







No comments:

Post a Comment